Memphis and Ole Miss have officially announced that they will renew their rivalry with a four-game, home-and-home football series beginning in 2014.
Memphis will travel to face Ole Miss at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford on Sept. 27, 2014 and Sept. 10, 2016. The Tigers will host the Rebels at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium on Oct. 17, 2015 and Sept. 30, 2017.
The two schools first met in 1921 and have played a total of 59 times. Ole Miss leads the series 47-10-2 and has won five in a row.
“It’s exciting for our fans both in Memphis and here in the state to see this natural rivalry resume in both sports,” Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork said. “The Memphis community is a priority, and this series is important for our growing alumni base in the area.”
“I am very pleased to announce that the University of Memphis and the University of Mississippi have agreed to a new football contract which will begin in 2014 and run through the 2017 season,” said Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen. “This series is such a great fit for both teams, and given our close proximity, it makes for a natural rivalry among fans from both schools.”
For Ole Miss, the games against Memphis in 2015 and 2016 take the place of Clemson. The series with Clemson was mutually canceled due to the new nine-game ACC football schedule.
Here are the updated future non-conference schedules for both Memphis and Ole Miss:
- 2013 – Arkansas State, Duke, at Middle Tennessee
- 2014 – at Miami (FL), Middle Tennessee, at Ole Miss
- 2015 – Missouri, Miami (FL), Kansas (site TBA), Ole Miss
- 2016 – at Missouri, Kansas (site TBA), at Ole Miss
- 2017 – Tennessee, Ole Miss
- 2013 – Idaho, Southeast Missouri, at Texas, Troy
- 2014 – Boise State (at ATL), UL Lafayette, Presbyterian, Memphis
- 2015 – UT Martin, Fresno State, New Mexico State, at Memphis
- 2016 – at UAB, Wofford, Memphis
- 2017 – South Alabama, Georgia Tech, Tulane, at Memphis
- 2018 – at Georgia Tech
- 2021 – Tulane