The Hawaii Exemption, as it’s commonly known, is a rule enacted by the NCAA that allows Division I football teams that play at Hawaii to schedule a 13th regular-season game. The rule also allows the Rainbow Warriors to play an extra game each season.
The addition of the 13th game, usually a home game, means extra revenue for those teams which is used to offset travel costs. But he teams involved are not obligated to schedule the extra game.
For the second year in a row, Hawaii has opted to only play 12 games. The last time Hawaii went two consecutive seasons without playing a 13th regular-season game was 2004 and 2005.
Of Hawaii’s 12 games scheduled in 2013, six are at home. Listed below are each of their home opponents and their own “Hawaii Exemption” status:
- USC (13 games) – The Trojans have used the Hawaii Exemption to schedule a 13th game. USC also faces Boston College, Utah State, and Notre Dame in non-conference play.
- Fresno State (12 games) – The Bulldogs opted not to schedule a 13th game and instead will have two open dates in 2013.
- San Jose State (12 games) – The Spartans opted not to schedule a 13th game and instead will have two open dates in 2013.
- Colorado State (13 games) – The Rams have used the rule to schedule a 13th game. Colorado State also plays non-conference games vs. Colorado, Tulsa, Cal Poly, Alabama, and UTEP.
- San Diego State (12 games) – The Aztecs opted not to schedule a 13th game and instead will have two open dates in 2013.
- Army (12 games) – The Black Knights opted not to schedule a 13th game. Since they play Navy on Dec. 14, Army will have four open dates in 2013.
The NCAA Bylaws that govern the “Hawaii Exemption” are listed below (NCAA Division I Manual):
17.27.2 Alaska/Hawaii, Additional Football Contest
Member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii shall be permitted to exceed, by one, the maximum number of football contests permitted under Bylaw 18.104.22.168 but otherwise shall conform to the same maximum number of contests and dates of competition permitted other members of the Association.
22.214.171.124 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:
(j) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.