The BYU Cougars and Hawaii Warriors have signed an agreement to play football almost every year through 2020, StarAdvertiser.com has reported.
Specific dates and locations were not discussed which shows that the contract will be fluid as the years progress. BYU, which plays its first season as an FBS Independent in 2011, needs some regular opponents to fill out their future schedules. 2011 will be the final season for Hawaii in the WAC before they join the Mountain West in 2012.
BYU leads the overall series against Hawaii 19-8. In their last meeting in 2002, the Cougars beat the Warriors 35-32 in Provo.
Last week, BYU fan site DeepShadesOfBlue.com reported that several big name opponents were lining up to schedule the Cougars. Reportedly in the works are 3-game sets with Nebraska, Wisconsin and possibly Penn State. UCLA and USC are among the schools rumored for a series of two games.
We have some additional BYU scheduling information to pass along. Keep in mind that these are only rumors unless or until officially announced:
- BYU will travel to Arizona State to kick off the 2013 season on Friday night on ESPN
- BYU will play Penn State in 2014 at FedEx Field in Landover, MD
- Starting in 2015, BYU will play Syracuse home-home-neutral (Meadowlands Stadium)
- The neutral game in the Nebraska series will be in Denver, CO
- BYU will play Ohio State home-home-neutral (Dallas, TX)